Designation: Assistant Professor (Stage-2)
Specialization: Biological/Physical Anthropology
M.Sc. (Anthropology, DU, 2008), Ph.D. (Anthropology, University of Delhi, 2013)
1. Faculty Name Dr. Huidrom Suraj Singh
2. Designation Assistant Professor (Stage 2)
3. Department Department of Anthropology,
Canchipur, Imphal – 795003
4. Mobile +91-8414011535
5. Email drsurajsinghhuidrom[at]gmail.com
6. Highest Educational Qualification Ph.D.
4. Specialization Biological/Physical Anthropology
8. Faculty Interest/ Area of Interest Public Health, Women health, Non-communicable Complex Diseases, Ethnographic Studies, Gene-Environment Interactions and Disease Etiology
9.1 Details of Achievement Nil
9.2 Membership of different Academic & professional bodies
(i) Patron member in Anthropological Society of Manipur, Imphal
(ii) Life Member of Indian Anthropological Society, Kolkata
(iii) Life Member of the Indian Science Congress Association, Kolkata
(iv) Member of the Sectional Committee of the Section Anthropological and Behavioural Sciences (including Archaeology, Psychology, Education and Military Sciences) for 2019-2020
(v) Member of the Young Anthropologist, the United Indian Anthropological Forum
9.3 Publications (last 5 years)
(i) Research Papers
1. Khangembam Taibanganba Meitei, Huidrom Suraj Singh, and M.P. Sachdeva. Distribution of AGT M235T gene polymorphism: a study among Dangi population of Udaipur district, Rajasthan (India). Ind. J. Phys. Anthrop. & Hum. Genet. 36 (2): 203-206, 2017.
2. Kallur Nava Saraswathy, Lovejeet Kaur, Seerat Talwar, Jyoti Mishra, Suraj Huidrom, MP Sachdeva, Manju Puri. Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase Gene-specific Methylation and Recurrent Miscarriages: A Case-Control Study from North India. Journal of Human Reproductive Science, 11: 142-147, 2018.
3. Huidrom Suraj Singh, Salam Kabita Devi, Subal Das, Sanjenbam Yaiphaba Meitei and Kallur Nava Saraswathy. Alcohol consumption patterns and blood pressure: a study among Meiteis of Manipur, India. J Life Science, 10(1): 66-72, 2018.
4. Salam Kabita, Priyanka Rani Garg, Masan Kambo Newmei, Kallur Nava Saraswathy and Huidrom Suraj Singh. TNF-α gene polymorphisms and complex disorders: A study among Mendelian population with East Asian ancestry, Journal of Practice of Cardiovascular Sciences, 5(1): 35-43, 2019.
5.Varhlun Chhungi, Somorjit Singh Ningombam, Suniti Yadav, Huidrom Suraj Singh, Naorem Kiranmala Devi, Shivani Chandel, Prakash Ranjan Mondal, Mohinder Pal Sachdeva, Kallur Nava Saraswathy. Prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors among East Asian tribal and non-tribal population groups of North East India. American Journal of Human Biology, 31(5): e23263, 2019.
6. Lannaimei, Thangjam Chitralekha Devi, Khangembam Taibanganba Meitei, Huidrom Suraj Singh. Diabetes Mellitus: Anthropological study among the people of Lakhimpur, Assam. Frontier Anthropology, 8: 49-53, 2019.
7. Khangembam Taibanganba Meitei, Huidrom Suraj Singh. Prevalence of Depression among Indian Population. Online Journal of Health and Allied Sciences, 18(4), 2019.
8. Malvika Yumnam, Thangjam Chitralekha Devi, Huidrom Suraj Singh. Occupational Risks and Health Problems among the Traffic Police Personnel in Imphal City of Manipur, India: A Brief Report. Frontier Anthropology, 9: 55-60, 2020.
9. Thangjam Chitralekha Devi and Huidrom Suraj Singh. Prevalence and associated risk factors of preterm birth in India: A review. Journal of Public Health and Development, 19(2): 2021.
10. Khangembam Taibanganba Meitei, Khangembam Somibabu Meitei, Huidrom Suraj Singh. A review on assessment tools used for screening and diagnosis of depression. Education India Journal, 10(5): 137-146, 2021.
11. Thangjam Chitralekha Devi, Khuraijam Geetamani Devi, Khangembam Taibanganba Meitei, Brahmacharimayum Surajkumar Sharma, Huidrom Suraj Singh. Anthropology and occupational health problems of auto-rickshaw drivers. Papers on Anthropology, 30(2): 17-29, 2021.
(ii) Book /Book Chapters
1. Subal Das, Huidrom Suraj Singh, Bhumika Tiwari, Kaushik Bose. Evaluation of Undernutrition using International Cut-Offs among 2-12 Years Children of Midnapore and Purulia, West Bengal, India. In, Child Health in India. Das B., Talukdar M., and Bharali A.J. (Eds) pp. 1-12. Omsons Publications, New Delhi – 110002. 2017.
2. Shatruhan Singh Shyam, Huidrom Suraj Singh and Subal Das. Malnutrition among Young Adult Male Gond Tribals of Sirki Village, Chhattisgarh. In, Development among the Tribal and Minority Societies. Bhui S., Das, M.S., and Coomar P.C. (Eds). pp.393-395. Gyan Publishing House, Daryaganj, New Delhi – 110002. 2017.
3. Huidrom Suraj Singh. Biostatistics & Epidemiologic Method (M-14). In, Research Methods and Fieldwork, Paper No. P-13, Anthropology, e-PGPathsala, 2017. (http://epgp.inflibnet.ac. in/ahl.php?csrno=1)
4. Huidrom Suraj Singh. Alcohol dependence and Dopamine Receptor. In, Social Ruminations on Health – A Critical Spectrum. Nath N., Beeju K., and Saxena A. (Eds) pp. 87-100. Renu Publishers, New Delhi – 110059. 2018.
5. Huidrom Suraj Singh. Nutritional Health Status of Tribal Populations of Nort East India. In, Tribal Economy, Culture and Society in India. Nilakantha Panigrahi (Edt.) pp. 225-241. Concept Publishing Company (P) Ltd. New Delhi – 110059, 2019.
6. S. Jibonkumar Singh, Sarit K Chaudhuri, Huidrom Suraj Singh (Edited Book). Anthropological Research in North East India: Retrospect & Prospect. Gyan Publishing House, Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi – 110002 and Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya, Shmla Hills, Bhopal. 2019.
7. Huidrom Suraj Singh. ‘Anthropology of COVID-19: Manipur’. I-Vision, 1: 17-22, 2020.
8. Huidrom Suraj Singh. Inbreeding and Consanguinity (Unit 10). In, Demographic Studies (Block-3) published by eGyanKosh, IGNOU, New Delhi. 2021. https://egyankosh.ac.in/handle/123456789/73694
9. Malvika Yumnam and Huidrom Suraj Singh. Indigenous Health Care Practices: A Case Study of Hilghat Village, Manipur. Sarthak Sengupta and Dali Dutta (Edt.) pp. 161-171. Kalpaz Publications, Satyawati Nagar, Delhi – 110052. 2021.
10. Khangembam Taibanganba Meitei and Huidrom Suraj Singh. Mating Patterns (Unit 7). In, Human Population Structure and Disease Pattern (Block 3) published by eGyanKosh, IGNOU, New Delhi. 2022. (https://egyankosh.ac.in/handle/123456789/83040)
11. Thangjam Chitralekha Devi and Huidrom Suraj Singh. Biological Consequences of Mating system (Unit 8). In, Human Population Structure and Disease Pattern (Block 3) published by eGyanKosh, IGNOU, New Delhi. 2022. (https://egyankosh.ac.in/handle/123456789/83041).
(iii) Presentation in Seminar/ Conference
1. Presented a research paper entitled “Alcohol consumption and its effects on Health” in the section of Anthropological and Behavioural Sciences in the 104th Indian Science Congress held at S.V. University, Tirupati from 3rd January to 7th January, 2017.
2. Presented research paper entitled “Mutation of Alcohol Metabolising Genes and Alcohol Dependence” in the section of Anthropological and Behavioural Sciences in the 105th Indian Science Congress held at Manipur University, Imphal from 16-20th March, 2018.
3. Presented research paper entitled “Alcohol consumption and its effects on liver enzyme & lipid profile” as invited presentation in the section of Anthropological and Behavioural Sciences in the 106th Indian Science Congress held at Manipur University, Imphal from 3-7th January, 2019.
4. Presented research paper entitled “Health Status of Auto-rickshaw drivers plying in Imphal, Manipur” in the section Anthropological and Behavioural Sciences in the 107th Indian Science Congress held at University of Agricultural Science, GKVK, Bengaluru, Karnataka from 3-7 January, 2020.
5. Presented research paper entitled “Patterns of alcohol consumption and health: A case study from Meiteis of Manipur” in the International Conference on “Anthropology of Food and Health” organized by Department of Anthropology, University of Delhi, Delhi held on 27-29 February, 2020.
6. Presented a paper titled “Diabetes Mellitus: An anthropological perspective” during Indian Anthropological Congress 2021 “Anthropology: Theory to Application’ organized by Department of Anthropology, University of Delhi and Indian National Confederation and Academy of Anthropologists (INCAA) during February 21-23, 2021.
7. Presented research paper entitled “Prevalence and correlates of diabetes mellitus: A cross-sectional study” in the 51st Annual conference of the Indian anthropological society and International seminar on Anthropology of Health and Disease: Past, Present and Future organized by the Department of Anthropology, West Bengal State University, Kolkata during 21-23 December, 2021.
(iv) Participation in Seminar/Conference
Participated in the National Seminar on “Cultural Heritage of Manipur” organized by Department of Anthropology, Manipur University in collaboration with Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahlaya, Bhopal held at Department of Anthropology, Manipur University from 7-8th September, 2017.
2. Participate in one day lecture programme on ‘Mahatma Gandhi’s Philosophy on Different Aspects in Child Rights’ organised by Manipur Commission for Protection of Child Rights (MCPCR), Govt. of Manipur held at Department of Anthropology, Manipur University, Canchipur Imphal on 25 October, 2019.
3. Participated in the Corona Webinar Lecture on ‘Anthropological Approaches and Corona Pandemic’ organized by Anthropological Society of Participation in Intensive & Indigenous Research for Empowerment on 4 May and 6 May 2020.
4. Participated in the 2 Day Webinar on Challenges and Opportunities for Youth of the North-Eastern Region organized by the Centre for Tribal and North-Easter Youth Development (CTNEYD), RGNIYD in collaboration with the Department of Sociology, RGNIYD and Regional Directorate, National Service Scheme, Guwahati, Assam during 3-4 March 2022.
(v) Participation in Workshop/Orientation/Refresher Course
1. Participated Winter School – “Sustainable Livelihood strategy for poverty reduction” from 23rd January to 13th February, 2017 organized by UGC-Human Resource Development Centre, Manipur University.
2. Participated in 3 weeks ‘Orientation Programme’ from 28 June 2019 to 18 July 2019 organized by Centre for Professional Development in Higher Education, Human Resource Development Centre, University of Delhi, Delhi.
3. Participated 5 Days online Faculty Development Programme on ‘Emerging Issues in Social Science Research” organized by Department of Anthropology, Rajiv Gandhi University, Arunachal Pradesh, India from 4 May to 8 May 2020.
4. Participated UGC STRIDE Workshop on ‘Statistical Data Analysis and Interpretation’ organized by Mizoram University, Aizawl, Mizoram held during 13 – 18 January, 2021.
5. Participated one week virtual faculty development Programme on ‘Statistical Methods in Biological Sciences’ held at Assam down town University held during 29 June to 5 July 2021.
9.4 Project Undertaken (last 5 years)
1. UGC-BSR Research Start-Up-Grant project entitled “Prevalence of prediabetes, type 2 diabetes and its associated complications among the Meiteis of Manipur, India”
2. Department of Science & Technology, Government of Manipur sponsored project entitled “Health Status of Auto-Rickshaw Drivers plying in Imphal City, Manipur”.
9.5 Other Extended Academic Activities (last 5 years)
Participated in the project Excavation and Recovery & Identification of Mortal Remains of War Casualties of II world War carried out by Japan Association of Recovery of Repatriation of War Casualty (JARRWC), Ministry of Health, Labour & Welfare, Japan as Anthropological Experts (2017, 2019)
Co-chair an academic session in the section Anthropological and Behavioural Sciences in the 107th Indian Science Congress held at University of Agricultural Science, GKVK, Bengaluru, Karnataka from 3-7 January, 2020.
Organized One day Exhibition cum Free Health check-up programme in connection with the celebration of World Anthropology Day on 20 February 2020 in the Department of Anthropology, Manipur University Imphal.
Co-Chair an academic session ‘Food and Disease’ in the International Conference on “Anthropology of Food and Health” organized by Department of Anthropology, University of Delhi, Delhi held on 27-29 February, 2020.
Participated in translation in Manipuri Language of FAQs for Patients with Hypertension, Diabetes and Heart Diseases in view of Coronavirus/COVID-19 Pandemic published by ICMR, New Delhi. 2020.
Co-Chair scientific session 3 Parallel session 2: Food, Culture and Nutrition during Indian Anthropology Congress 2021 ‘Anthropology: Theory to Application’ organized by Department of Anthropology, University of Delhi and Indian National Confederation and Academy of Anthropologists (INCAA) during February 21-23, 2021
Moderate one academic session in the Conference on Borderland Peoples of Indo-Myanmar Region Organized by Centre for Myanmar Studies, Manipur University during 5-6 March 2021.
Participated in organizing One Day Workshop on NEP 2020: Promises and Challenges with special reference to Higher Education under Manipur University Teachers’ Association on 20 March, 2021.
Reviewer of Journal Articles
Current Psychology (Springer)
Gene Reports (Elsevier)
Human Biology (American Association of Anthropological Genetics)
Journal of Public Health and Development (ASEAN Institute for Health Development, Mahidol University, Thailand)
Journal of the Anthropological Survey of India (SAGE)
Health Science Reports (Wiley)
Journal of Women Health Issues Care (SciTechnol)
Molecular Biology Reports (Springer)