Specialization: Molecular & Environmental Biotechnology
Email: debananda.ningthoujam [AT] gmail.com
List of Research Papers (Peer-reviewed papers)
1. Micromonospora kangleipakensis sp. nov., a novel actinomycete isolated from a sample of limestone quarry in Manipur. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 63: 4546-455. doi:10.1099/ijs.0.052746-0
Nimaichand DS, Zhang YG, Cheng J , Li L, Zhang DF, Zhou EM, Dong L, Ningthoujam DS, Li WJ (2013)
2. Streptomyces hundungensis sp. nov., a novel actinomycete with antifungal activity and plant growth promoting traits. J Antibiot (Tokyo). 2013 Apr; 66(4):205-9. Doi: 10.1038/ja.2012.119.
Nimaichand S, Tamrihao K, Yang LL, Zhu WY, Zhang YG, Li L, Tang SK, Ningthoujam DS, Li WJ (2013)
3. Streptomyces manipurensis sp. nov., a novel actinomycete isolated from a limestone deposit site in Manipur, India. Anton Van Leeuwenhoek DOI 10.1007/s10482-012-9720-4
Nimaichand S, Zhu WY, Yang LL, Ming H, Nie GX, Tang SK, Ningthoujam DS, Li WJ. (2012).
4. Rhodococcus canchipurensis sp. nov., a novel actinomycete isolated from a limestone deposit site in Manipur, India Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 10.1099/ ijs. 0.036087-0; published ahead of print February 17, 2012. 63: 114-118
Nimaichand S, Sanasam S, Zheng LQ, Zhu WY, Yang LL, Tang SK, Ningthoujam DS, Li WJ (2012).
5. Characterization of p-nitrophenol degrading actinomycetes from Hundung limestone deposits in Manipur, India. African Journal of Biotechnology. 11(44) 10210- 10220. DOI 10.5897/AJB11.4123 ISSN 1684-5315
Ningthoujam , DS, Sanasam S, Mutum A. (2012).
6. Studies on Bioactive Actinomycetes in a Niche Biotope, Nambul River in Manipur, India. J Microbial Biochem Technol, S6 doi.org/10.4172/1948-5948.S6-001
Debananda S. Ningthoujam, Suchitra Sanasam and Salam Nimaichand(2011)
7. Screening of Local Actinomycete Isolates in Manipur for Anticandidal Activity. Asian Journal of Biotechnology, 2: 139-145. ISSN 1996- 0700.
Sanasam, S. and Ningthoujam, D.S. (2010).
8. A Thermostable Alkaline Protease from a Moderately Halo-alkali thermotolerant Bacillus Subtilis Strain SH1. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 4(10): 5126-5134, ISSN 1991-8178
Debananda S. Ningthoujam and Pintubala Kshetri (2010)
9. Screening of Actinomycetes Isolates from Niche Habitats in Manipur for Antibiotic Activity. American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 5: 221-225. ISSN Print: 1553-3468
Ningthoujam, D.S., Sanasam, S. and Nimaichand, S. (2009).
10. A Streptomyces sindenensis Strain LS1-128 Exhibiting Broad Spectrum Antimicrobial Activity. Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 4: 1085-1091.
Ningthoujam, D., Sanasam, S. and Nimaichand, S. (2009).
11. Screening, Identification of Best Producers and Optimization of Extracellular Proteases from Moderately Halophilic Alkalithermotolerant Indigenous Actinomycetes. World Applied Sciences Journal, 7: 907-916. ISSN 1818-4952
Ningthoujam, D.S., Kshetri, P., Sanasam, S. and Nimaichand, S. (2009).
12. Antagonistic activities of local actinomycete isolates against rice fungal pathogens. African Journal of Microbiology, 3: 737-742. ISSN 1996-0808
Ningthoujam, D.S., Sanasam, S., Tamreihao, K. and Nimaichand, S. (2009).
13. Isolation and characterization of a Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain DN1 degrading p-nitrophenol. Research Journal of Microbiology, 3: 345-351. ISSN 1816-4935
Ningthoujam, D. and Shovarani, N. (2008).
14. Isolation and identification of Brevibacterium linens strain degrading p-nitrophenol. African Journal of Biotechnology, 4: 256-257.
Ningthoujam, D. (2005).
15. Diversity of Actinomycetes in selected soils of Manipur and their antibiotic potential. Journal of Assam Science Society, 45: 44-47.
Sanasam, S. and Ningthoujam, D. (2005)
Conferences/ Seminars/ Workshops
1. Natl. Seminar on Biotech, Gauhati University, Gauhati, Mar 24-26, 1992.
2. 4th Intl. Conf. on Ethnobiology, NBRI, Lucknow, Nov 17-21, 1994.
3. Intl. Conf. on Microbiol. Biotech, Osmania University, Hyderabad, July 15-17, 2000.
4. Intl. Conf. on Microbiol. Div., UDSC, Delhi, Apr 16-18, 2005.
5. NEBA Conf., GU, Gauhati, June 17-18, 2005.
6. Natl. Conf. on Plant and Microbial Diversity, VBU, Shantiniketan, Dec 17-19, 2005.
7. 47th Annual Conf. of Assn. of Microbiologists of India (AMI), Barkatullah University, Bhopal (MP), Dec 6-8, 2006.
8. Natl. Symp. on Entrepreneurship in Biotechnology: Scope and Prospects in North East India, IIT Guwahati, Jan 20-21, 2007.
9. A Two Day Seminar on Environment and Biodiversity of Manipur: Issues and Concerns, Manipur University, Feb 24-25, 2007.
10. Natl. Conf. on Microbial Diversity: Avenues and Applications, SBSPGI, Dehradun, March 17-18, 2007.
11. Natl. Seminar on Recent Advances in Life Sciences, Manipur University, March 23-24, 2007.
12. Thermophiles 2007, University of Bergen, Norway, Sept 24-27, 2007.
13. Intl. Conf. on New Horizons in Biotechnology 2007 (NHBT-2007), NIIST, Trivandrum (formerly RRL Trivandrum), Nov 26-29, 2007.
14. 48th Annual Conf. of Assn. of Microbiologists of India (AMI), IIT Madras, Chennai, Dec 18-21, 2007.
15. XIth Manipur Science Congress, Manipur University, March 28-30, 2008.
16. A Two Day Seminar on “The Present Scenario of Medicinal Plants in Manipur with particular reference to Anti-Cancer Plants”, Manipur University, July 24-25, 2008.
17. 68th BRNS-IANCAS National Workshop on “Radiochemistry and Applications of Radioisotopes”, Manipur University, September 22-30, 2008.
18. 3rd ICBF-2008 & 5th Convention of BRSI, Osmania University, Hyderabad, November 6-8, 2008.
19. 49th Annual Conference of AMI, University of Delhi, Delhi, November 18-20, 2008.
20. 96th Indian Science Congress, NEHU, January 3-7, 2009.
21. 1st Asian PGPR Congress for Sustainable Agriculture, Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University, Hyderabad, June 21-24, 2009.
22. Thermophiles 2009, Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China, August 16-21, 2009.
23. 15th International Symposium on the Biology of Actinomycetes (ISBA’15), Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, August 20-25, 2009.
24. 50th Annual Conference of AMI, National Chemical Laboratory Pune and University of Pune, Pune, December 15-18, 2009.
25. Science Academies’ Sponsored Workshop (SASW) on Recent Advances in Biology, 2011, Manipur University, Canchipur.
26. Science Academies’ Sponsored Workshop (SASW) on Transferable skills for research scholars, April 4-5, 2012, Manipur University, Canchipur.
27. Advanced Biotechnology Workshop on PCR: Basic Techniques and Applications, April 26-28, 2012, Biochemistry Department, Manipur University, Canchipur.
28. 53rd Annual Conference of Association of Microbiologists of India (AMI)-International Conference on Microbial World: Recent Innovations and Future Trends, 2012, Bhubaneswar.
29. Basic Microbial Techniques, 14-16 March 2013, organized by DBT State Biotech Hub(SBTHub), Biochemistry Department, Manipur University, Canchipur
30. SASW on Recent Advances in Chemical Biology, March 24-26, 2014, Manipur University, sponsored by Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore.
31. Chemical Biology: Plant-microbe interactions, March 26, 2014, SASW on Recent Advances in Chemical Biology during Mar 24-26, 2014, Manipur University.
32. New Biology: The Third Revolution, January 27, 2014, SK Women’s College, Nambol, Manipur
33. Literary and Scientific Translation: text and context, January 30, 2014, UGC ASC Refresher Course, Manipur University.
34. Microbial Biotechnology: Major applications & recent breakthroughs, February 3, 2014 Outreach Program, Kamakhya Pemton College, Hiyangthang, Manipur, orgd. By SBTHub, Dept. of Biochemistry, Manipur University.
35. Microbial Exploration around the World, June 30, 2014, Presidency College, Motbung, Manipur, SBTHub Outreach Program.
36. Tales of the Invisible, September 7, 2014, Slopeland Public School, Khongjom, Manipur, SBTHub Outreach Program.
37. Some Young & Not-So-Young Scientists, September 30, 2014, INSPIRE Science Camp, Manipur University, Canchipur, Special Invited Lecture.
1. Lamyanba Vigyaniksingi Khonggul (Manipuri) Vol 2, 2014. ISBN 978-93-81544-40-2
2. Footprints of Pioneer Scientists Vol 1. , Rinda Publications, Imphal West – 795001, 2013 ISBN 978-93-81544-36-5
3. Lamyanba Vigyaniksingi Khonggul (Manipuri) Vol 1, 2012. ISBN 978-93-81544-21-1
4. Debananda Ningthoujam (2007), Microbial diversity - Estimation and Exploitation. In Biodiversity Conservation and Legal Aspects, Ed. A.K. Kandya and Asha Gupta, Aavishkar Publishers, Distributors, Jaipur, pp 132-148
5. Debananda Ningthoujam (2007) Microbial degradation and bioremediation of nitroaromatic compounds. In Biodiversity and Environmental Biotechnology, Eds, P Dwivedi, S.K. Dwivedi & M.C. Kalita, Scientific Publishers, Jodhpur, pp 299-316.
1. Diversity of carboxydotrophic actinobacteria in Manipur and their carbon monoxide dehydrogenases, DBT, Rs. 43.04 lakhs
2. Biotechnological potential of keratinolytic bacteria from selected biotopes in Manipur, DBT, Rs. 64.71 lakhs
3. Discovery of bioactive natural products from microbes especially actinomycetes in niche biotopes in Manipur, DBT, Rs. 52.33 lakhs
4. Establishment of State Biotech Hub (SBTHub), DBT, Rs. 134.72 lakhs
5. Biochemical and genetic characterization of bacteria degrading xenobiotics and optimization of conditions for biodegradation, DBT, Govt. of India, Rs. 39,02,000
6. Isolation and Characterization of Extremophilic Protease Producing Bacterial species and their Extracellular Proteases from Biotopes of Manipur, DST&IT, Govt. of Manipur, Rs. 96,000
Any other information
Debananda S. Ningthoujam, PhD, Associate Professor is life member of scientific societies such as Association of Microbiologist of India (AMI), Society of Biological Chemists (India), Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) and Biotech Research Society of India (BRSI).