Film Appreciation Course (05 days) at Manipur University, Imphal
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) Pune under its Skilling India in Film & Television (SKIFT), in association with Dept. of Mass Communication, Manipur University announces Film Appreciation Course on Manipur University Campus, Imphal.
Following are the details in this regard;
(1) Duration: 15th to 19th Jan 2019 (05 days)
(2) Timings: 9 am to 4 pm
(3) No. of participants: 100 (Course will be conducted only if minimum strength of 80 is reached)
Out of 100 seats above, 50 seats are reserved for participants directly associated with Manipur University (present students, staff, teachers etc) and 50 seats are reserved for outsiders.
(4) Age: Participants must be 18 years or above in age as on 01st Jan 2019
(5) Educational Qualifications: HSC (12th pass). However, 10th pass in exceptional cases
(6) Nationality: Indian
(7) Venue: Manipur University
(a) For participants associated with Manipur University: Rs 2,000/- per participant (inc. of GST)
(b) For Outsiders: Rs 2,500/- per participant (inclusive of GST)
(9) Mode of Payment: Cash OR through Demand Draft.
(10) Selection Criteria: First – Come – First – Served.
(11) Faculty: Mr Pankaj Saxena as Course Director and Mr Munish Bhardwaj as Co – faculty
(12) Last date & time to apply: 08th Jan 2019 by 3 pm
(13) How to apply: Participants can either apply by paying CASH or Demand Draft.
(a) Cash: Take a print-out of application form from FTII website (www.ftiindia.com) or Manipur University website (www.manipuruniv.ac.in), fill-in all the details. Deposit Rs 2,000/- or Rs 2,500/- (as the case may be) at the Office, Department of Mass Communication, Manipur University and obtain receipt of same (10 am to 4 pm). Take photocopy (xerox) of said receipt and attach it to the application form. Also, attach photocopy of your highest (last) educational qualification. Submit all the above documents at the office, Department of Mass Communication, Manipur University as given below.
(b) Demand Draft: Draw a Demand Draft of Rs 2,500/- in favour of “Accounts Officer, Film & TV Institute of India, Pune” and must be payable at Pune. Take a print-out of application form from the FTII website (www.ftiindia.com) or Manipur University website (www.manipuruniv.ac.in). Fill in all the details and attach said Demand Draft. Also, attach photocopy of your highest (last) educational qualification. Submit/ send all the above documents at the and Speed Post/ Courier OR deliver it in person to;
Dr. Meenakumari Angom,
Head of Department,
Department of Mass Communication,
PIN – 795003
so as to reach on or before 08th Jan 2019 by 3 pm.
On envelope of application at top left, write “Application for Film Appreciation Course”. Incomplete applications, applications without required Demand Draft/ online course fee, applications received after due date & time etc will be rejected.
(14) Medium of Instructions: The medium of instruction would be English and Hindi. Participants are expected to have adequate knowledge of English and/ or Hindi as regards to reading, writing & speaking.
All the selected candidates would be communicated by email. Once admission is offered, the same cannot be cancelled. Course fee of selected candidates is non – refundable. Course fees of all non – selected candidates would be returned within 07 days.
(15) Certificates: All participants would be given participation certificate on successful completion of the course. Minimum 90% attendance is mandatory.
(16) Accommodation: There is no provision of accommodation and participants need to make their own lodging & boarding arrangements including lunch on course days.
(17) Queries: For any queries email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 09923242654 (Prof. Sandeep Shahare, FTII Pune) preferably on weekdays between 10 am to 6 pm. You may also call Dr. Natasha, Associate Professor from Manipur University (7005401549)
Details of Film Appreciation Course
Course Description: The course is an introduction to film appreciation, film history, film analysis and film production – fiction and documentary - from concept to final film.
Course Abstract: The participants will be exposed to the history of cinema and the development of the cinematic language. They will be encouraged to analyze a few selected films and taken through the process of film making – fiction as well as documentary. There may also be specific sessions on the impact of cinema on society and the process of preserving film and film heritage. Finally, there will be an opportunity for the students to explore the avenues for further learning of the film craft.
Course Objectives: Enhance the participants understanding of cinema in all its dimensions including aesthetic, creative, communicative, industrial and commercial. The course will impart skills in contextualizing an audio visual work, grasping the impact of its diverse elements and understanding its import and impact on the society.
Learning Outcomes: The course aims to equip the student with an ability to engage with cinema deeply. It teaches the student to contextualize a film in its historical, social, aesthetic and technological perspective and then goes on to explain the language of pictures and sounds and the meaning created by their design, juxtaposition and sequencing. Finally it explores with the students the relationship between cinema and the society.
Pedagogy: Screening of films, lectures accompanied with presentations, interactive discussions, assignment for completion outside the class.
Who Should Take the Course?/ Benefits of undertaking said Course: Anyone interested in looking at cinema beyond the entertainment aspect and wanting to appreciate films for its genre, style & content and wishing to take cinema as career.